Orginally supposed to be posted on September 16, 2008 at 9:48 PM.
Another complicated entry to write, where has all the happy entries gone? There should only be one more after this and everything will be back to normal.
On September 3, 2008, my Uncle Lee passed away. It was scary because a week before, my Grandpa had passed away. I would have to wear the same clothes from the previous funeral. Black dress shirt, black dress pants, dress shoes, and black tie. It was the outfit I was scared to wear and hoped never again, but I guess not.
September 7, 2008, was part one of the funeral. My sisters and I arrived at the same funeral home for the second time. Everything seemed the same. It felt like it wasn't a funeral for my uncle, but it felt like we were stuck in time at my Grandpa's funeral. We went inside to visit my uncle and pray for him. He looked extremely peacefully laying there.
I actually didn't cry this time. I know it might sound heartless or whatever you're thinking of, but hear me out. I didn't know that Uncle Lee existed until 6 years ago. My parents and family went on this car ride to somewhere really far and I didn't know where we were going. Once we arrived it was this big house, it was like a dream house in the mountains. We played pool at his house, ate BBQ, sat on his heated bed, and talked about how he secretly kept his maids in the closet.
My uncles made speeches and we all said our goodbyes. This time as I walked up to the casket, I was able to pull myself together and I took a flower from a bouquet and I put it in the casket. My aunt was crying terribly and she didn't let him go. It made me start to tear up. Her father died a week ago and now her husband, the father of her children. As they closed the coffin, I got up.
Yes, I was a Paul Bearer for the second time, in the second week, for my second pasted away family member. We slowly walked the coffin out to the limo, lifted it up, and closed it away.
We arrived at Los Gatos Memorial Park. It's been a while since I've been there. The ceremony started. As the other Paul Bearers and I lifted the coffin over to the grave site, I couldn't help but noticed that my cousin's grave was above. Father and son, resting forever at the same place, and right below/above each other. The Paul Bearers were told that we were allow to keep one item, the gloves or the flower. I didn't want another pair of gloves, so I put the gloves on top of the coffin, and kept the flower, which is still alive today. Speeches were made, and the coffin was lowered. One by one, everyone was given a rose or flower to put in the hole along with my uncle. When it was finished, it looked beautiful.
The coffin was covered and it was over. We walked over to my cousin's grave, which was right above my uncles, and clean his tombstone, gave him flowers, favorite food and drink, and our prayers. Then we went over to my cousin Ann, my uncle's daughter, and gave her a hug. She's a strong person.
Rest In Peace Uncle Lee. I'll visit soon.
Saturday, September 27, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment